Thursday, November 6, 2008

How was your morning?

So I was making Kyle wear a thumb guard to help him stop sucking his thumb. It was working too. No thumb in his mouth for over a day. He wasn't really fussing about it either. Are you waiting for the penny to drop? Well it did.

This morning when we got up, I noticed that it was kinda red. So I cut off the strap, going to give it some air. (I did that last night for a while too) Well his skin was all red, starting to flake up a bit, and it is now starting to swell. And worst of all it looks like there is a pussy blister forming on the underside of his thumb. Kyle is whining and sticking his thumb in the air. So what do I do, but get us dressed and rush him to the emergency room.

So I am waiting in line, waiting to check in. Trying to stop some lady from cutting in, and I turn around to see Kyle with his hands on the Fire alarm. Before I could stop him, he has pulled it, and the fire alarm is going off in the emergency room. I apologize, and am completely embarrassed. The still make the entire waiting room evacuate. Poor people that are sick having to go outside into the cold. Thank goodness, it was only for 5 mins.

So it turns out Kyle thumb is all infected, we get seen pretty quickly. Probably cause they want us out of there. Kyle in now on an antibiotic an Tylenol. Thank goodness it wasn't any worse. And we aren't going to use the thumb guard again. I checked their website, and it says that a small percentage of children can be allergic to the hospital grade plastic, and to discontinue use if this happens.

So that was my morning. How was yours?

4 comments:

Anita J. said...

Oh no! Poor little Kyle. :O(

I can't believe on top of that he pulled the alarm. Poor little Elena! I cannot imagine the guilt of having all those sick people evacuated. But it made for a great blog story, right?

Is Kyle in a lot of pain?

Kelli said...

Oh My! What a morning. Poor Kyle has a sore thumb and poor Elena. Kids have a way of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. I think things like this happen so we can remember our kids childhood. You don't remember the normal days only the crazy stuff that happens! We look forward to seeing you guys.

Carolina Girl said...

Oh Elena!!! What a morning indeed. I would have been SUPER embarrassed too. But, hey...if it got you seen quickly...that's a plus! Waiting in the ER can be so exhausting.

KG said...

Poor thing! I bet it was worse on you, though, than on him! I'd be totally traumatized.

I'm sure he, on the other hand, will be back to normal ASAP!