Friday, October 3, 2008

Sign on my back

Do I have a sign on my back saying if your crazy I would Love to talk with you?

This happens to me anywhere I go. Crazy people come up to me and start crazy conversations. Many of my friends wonder how that happens to me, and I am now beginning to have that same idea.

Why am I blogging about this you ask. Well the other day I ventured off post, and to a post office I had never used before. It was close to a store that I wanted to go shopping at. Well the post office guy, was super friendly. I had no wait in line. This never happens to me at the post office. Kyle was behaving. Everything seemed to be going my way.

I let kyle push the buttons so the automatic doors would open. He thought this was great. The lady that was coming out right behind us, commented on how friendly everyone was in there, I agreed. This is where the normal conversation ends.

We went from everyday chit chat, to it is so hard for people in America to get a Nobel prize, because we don't think about world views enough. To She can't believe what has happened in Iraq and Afghanistan. How they don't want us there, and no ones life in Iraq is at all better than what it was before we started the war. This I had to disagree with. She wanted to know why we weren't rebuilding schools. Um Hello? We have been doing that for years now. I asked her if she thought that the Iraqi people would have been better off with Saddam still in charge. She said YES. Boy did she choose the wrong person to have this conversation with. I explained my opinions on the topic. She rebutted by saying what about the Kids that we have been bombing in Afghanistan. Um two different topics. But I am sure that we didn't go out and look for little kids to bomb, as she was suggesting.

Even better the conversation suddenly changed to politics. This was doomed from the beginning. She was equating McCain with Bush. And then calling Sarah Palin uneducated. And how could she make jokes about old people. As this woman told me she was 56 and was in that category. How would she treat older people if she was in office. Because I am sure in this crazy woman's mind that makes Palin hate all old people. Thankfully the crazy lady was getting the picture that I wasn't going to agree with her, just because she wanted me too. We also got into the topic of the economy.She blames the whole mess on Bush. Nothing to do with the fact that Americans spent beyond there means at all. Then she left in a huff.

Why do people like this choose my to have these sorts of conversation? How can I cut people off, and be on my way before these sorts of conversations start? How can I get rid of the sign on my back? Does this happen to anyone else apart from me?

4 comments:

KG said...

Well - I'm - um - not of the same political persuasion you are, but I'm obnoxious so I would just be all "shut up and stop talking to me." 'Cause I'm mean like that!

Anita J. said...

If I'm really at a loss for words, I do this thing (really unfair o the 'opponent') where I ask God for something to say. He almost always answers 'yes' to that one. Sometimes he even gives me funny stuff that makes everybody laugh, including the 'talker'.

On a more serious note, there is a ton of wisdom on this in the book of Proverbs. It is chock full of answers on dealing with difficult people. Check out Pr. 18:19-21.

And a note on other stuff, Pr. 28:16

Carolina Girl said...

Good for you for sticking up for your opinions! I would have probably just said, 'yeah' and then left even though I disagreed.

Anonymous said...

It happens to me too, and I know my mom has it happen to her at work all the time. I think they do it because they think they're preaching to the choir, and you won't be offended. I love arguing w/ these people to be honest. Congrats on sticking up for what you believe in!