Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Dark

Kyle is afraid of the dark. I can't believe that it starts this young. I always thought it was an older child's issue, when the start thinking of monsters in the closet. But no anytime I turn off a light my son starts screaming.

This issue has gotten to the point that he won't go to sleep without light. And I am not talking just a little light. Kyle has two night lights in his room. He has the twilight turtle Which glows and projects starts on all the walls and the ceiling. He has a regular bedside lamp. And the overhead light on the ceiling. He must have all of these lights on in order to go to sleep.

How can anyone sleep with that much light on? I make sure that once he has actually fallen asleep that I go i and turn them all but the night lights off. I can still see him perfectly well with just the two night lights on.

Does anyone out there have any advice on how I can break him of being afraid of the dark? Or should we just move to Vegas now?

2 comments:

Kelli said...

No advice from me. Kaden was/is the same way. Really the only way we have been able to cut down on the light has been to move Jack to Kaden's room. Jack needs very little light to sleep so we had to compromise. I also think just having Jack in the room with him helps. Maybe you could have either your cat or dog in there while he goes to sleep? Or maybe look for a stuffed animal for protection. Really I have no idea.We just happend to get lucky with moving Jack into Kaden's room which we had to do anyway.

Carolina Girl said...

Wow, I had no idea that they learned to be afraid of the dark. Wonder what that's about. Unfortunately, I have no advice. I'll be checking back though to see what others say and tuck it in the back of my Mommy brain for when we need it.