Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Advent Calender

The year Kyle was born his mother bought us a really nice advent calender. And instead of filling it with candy it is filled with miniature ornaments, and towards the end of the month it has a miniature nativity. Most of these ornaments were my husbands when he was little. I guess his Aunt had given him a similar calender, and his mother saved most of the ornaments.

So today I was making some minor repairs on the ornaments. And what popped into my head was last year when we were letting Kyle open the doors for the first time, was Kris made up a story to go along with each ornament. This was really cute, and it worked well with the angels, and the three wise men. But over the years some of the ornaments had been lost. So when we pull of a little bird house or a windmill, Kris had to get creative. Since these don't really work in with the whole Christmas story.

These memories made me smile, and a little sad that he's not here this Christmas to tell the story. I am not nearly as creative with my stories as Kris is. I can't wait for next Christmas when he will be home to share his version of the Christmas story again. Enjoy your loved ones this year.

Does your family have any traditions that aren't exactly Traditional?

No comments: