Friday, December 12, 2008

One long Year!

So I learnt this morning that this is going to be an extra long year. Not only was it a leap year which gave us an extra day, but we are also getting an extra second, at midnight on new years eve. I didn't know this was possible, but apparently the earth rotates slightly slower than our clocks, so every now and then they give us an extra second.

I thought that was kinda neat and just had to share. Has this happened before in our lives? Does anyone remember this happening before?

4 comments:

Anita J. said...

Interesting! An extra second. Now that's a great photo op. I can just see me showing my great grandchildren: "Here's Granny partying it up during the extra second we got in the 2008-2009 transition. Yup. It's true." Will it be 61 seconds before the midnight hour strikes? How are we doing it?

Cori said...

That's neat; I've never heard of that.

BTW, I just have to comment on your new header picture. What a beautiful family shot!!!!

Oh, and thanks for the info. on the nipple shield. I saw one at Target the other day, so I might have to pick one up if things go downhill again. :)

Kelli said...

I saw this on the news too. What a crazy job that would be. I wonder who decided this needed to be done? I think I saw that they will add an extra second the next few years.

Anita J. said...

I remembered those pie cutter things when I was trying to cut the slits with the crust already on the pie! I then understood why one would use the measurements on my pie board instead of just trimming a crust on the pie itself. Duh moment for me there. :O)

I saw a really cool lattice work pie with those cutouts on it. Have you ever used them? I bet they're pretty with a little bit of color on them.